It’s hard work, but as they say, someone’s got to do it. After visiting bars across the country the panel of judges — including industry legend Phil Bayly and Bacardi’s international brand ambassador, David Cordoba — in the Bacardi Legacy Cocktail Competiton have whittled down the field of 25 finalists to just five: the Five Most Promising.
Over 350 people gathered at Sydney’s Hugos Lounge to witness the five state finalists of Suntory’s Cocktail Connoisseur competition shake, stir and mix it up against one another. At stake was bragging rights and a once in a lifetime trip to Japan with a cool $1000 cash in spending money.
Jason Williams (The Keystone Group) has taken out the top honour at this year’s Beefeater 24 Bartender Competition in London.
26 finalists from throughout the world gathered to compete for the top prize.
Two bars from Northbridge in Perth — Mechanics Institute and Ezra Pound — have taken out the top gongs at the Small Bar Association of WA’s Small Bar of the Year Awards 2013.
After a number of rounds, which have seen bartenders from throughout the country compete in a series of challenges, Mike Tomasic from The Wild Rover in Sydney has emerged victorious in the Australian round of the Angostura Global Cocktail Challenge.
By Shaun Pattinson
Cocktail competitions, I believe, are a great opportunity for young and aspiring bartenders to judge themselves against their fellow industry peers. They are also a fantastic way to develop a very high opinion of yourself and the importance of the role you play on this planet.
Bacardi has sifted through some 138 entries from across the country to discover the Bacardi Legacy Global Cocktail Competition Australian round’s Top 25 — check out the full list here…
If you’ve read these pages over the last year or so you would know that the bar scene in Perth is on a roll, thanks in no small part to the role played by the new crop of small bars that have opened up.
Yesterday a great array of bar workshops took place down at King Street Wharf at theloft, Sydney. We’ve got a few shots from the day below, and this year’s Top 10 bartenders from the Bartender of the Year competition round one and two that took place yesterday.
There’s only 10 days until this year’s Bartender of the Year sponsored by ABSOLUT ELYX and Havana Club gets underway with a tough written exam. We asked the reigning champion Greg Sanderson for his tips on succeeding through the mystery challenge and Top 10.
We asked Ben for his tips on keeping your nerves under wraps and preparing for this year’s Bartender of the Year competition at Sydney Bar Week — the exam is just two weeks away! He dishes advice on blind tasting, keeping your cool and going with “gut instinct”…
Rockpool Bar & Grill’s David Nguyen-Luu is through to the national final of the Angostura Global Cocktail Competition. He took out the WA round of the comp last Monday night at Perth’s Universal Bar. Finishing in second place was Joe Sinagra, and there was a tie for third place between Mechanics Institute’s Ben Tua and Dimitri Rtshiladze.
Last night a packed crowd saw Jason Williams, group bars manager for Keystone, take out the national final of the Beefeater 24 Global Bartender Competition held at Sydney’s The Barber Shop.
More in this category:
- Sean Chow takes out the QLD heat of Angostura Cocktail Challenge
- Evan Stanley, Dave Meadows through to Angostura Global Cocktail Challenge national final
- Do cocktail comps still work? Find out more at Sydney Bar Week
- Luke Redington through to the Angostura national final
- Angostura announces state finalists for the Angostura Global Cocktail Challenger
- Entries are now open for the Bacardi Legacy Global Cocktail Competition
- Angostura Barrel Aged Cocktail comp winner employs sherry-making techniques for their drink
- Beefeater 24 invites bartenders to compete in their Global Bartender Competition
- All the winners from Tales of the Cocktail’s Spirited Awards 2013
- James Connolly wins Gin Mare Inspirations
- ABSOLUT ELYX to send 2013′s Bartender of the Year to Sweden!
- Start dreaming of $10,000 & a trip to Trinidad thanks to Angostura!
- Glenfiddich to send 2 cocktail pioneers to Scotland – entries close soon!
- Vasco’s Luke Ashton takes out World Class & $100k
- Gin Mare cocktail comp returns; trip to Spain & 4,500 Euros on the line
- Voting opens for the 2013 Most Influential List!
- Are you the next Bartender of the Year? Test yourself with last year’s exam!
- Tales of the Cocktail announce the Spirited Awards Top 10; Aussies among the finalists
- Disaronno Mixing Star chosen at theloft
- New sponsors & format announced for Bartender of the Year 2013!
- 3R Tequila and Kansei to send four bartenders to Mexico
- Creative 1883 cocktails wanted!
- My problem with pushy cocktail comps
- Disaronno Mixing Star comp closing soon!
- Australian Bartender Bar Awards 2013 — vote now!
- Bartender of the Year 2012 Wrap
- Appleton Estate Bartender Challenge wrap-up
- Raise Your Glass! All the Bar Awards winners!
- Bar Week Day 3 Wrap Up: Drinks Fest Trade Day!
- Bartender Magazine’s Bartender of the Year Top 10
- WIN one of 10 tickets to the ABSOLUT Bartender Brunch!
- 50 unlimited Drinks Fest theatre passes to win!
- Win a double pass to Drinks Fest for your friends!
- Countdown to the Bartender of the Year Final
- Who will be the Stella Artois World Draught Master 2012?
- Bartender of the Year Competition 2012 – only days left to enter!
- Global Rematch Beeyatch
- Bartender of the Year -Take the Test
- Record Turn Out for The Bartender of the Year Competition – Top 20 Announced!
- Angostura Cocktail Challenge Update
- Win a trip to Trinidad with Angostura!
- Appleton Estate Tiki Mug Competition
- Calling all Canberra bartenders!
- Tim Philips is World Class
- Bartender Magazine Bartender of the Year Competition
- Angostura’s Global Cocktail Competition Australian Final
- Australian Angostura Global Cocktail Competition
- Schweppes’ Finds Australia’s Top Five G&Ts
- The Ketel One Hundred Club – Winner’s Videos
- Last Chance to Win a Trip to London!
- Woodford Reserve’s Cocktail Derby Crowns National Champ
- Ultrapour’s Professional Announces Finalists
- World Class Announces Australian Champ
- Australian World Class Finalists Announced!
- Last Man Standing – The Magnificent 7 Champion Crowned
- Schweppes Search for Australia’s Best G&T
- The Woodford Reserve Cocktail Derby
- Team USA Take Out 42 Below Cocktail World Cup
- 42 Below Cocktail World Cup… all the action!
- Ultrapour’s Professional 2010
- Bartender of the Year 2010
- Copper Cup Finalists Announced!
- Behind Bars Trivia is Back!
- World Class Vodka Martini Award winners
- Smirnoff Black Copper Cup Semis
- World Class Update
- BARTENDER: 2009 Bartender of the Year, Chris Hysted
- VIDEO: Bartender Magazine Most Influential Party!
- VIDEO: The Craft 2009 Masterclass Trailer
- World Class Vodka Entries: Close November 30
- Tim Philips wins UK Bartender of the Year in CLASS Awards
- Entries for the 42 Below Cocktail World Cup Close Tomorrow
- Last Chance to Enter Copper Cup
- The G’Vine Connoisseur Program
- Suntory Cup Finds 2009′s Greatest Mix
- Appleton Estate Launches Summer of Tiki
- Australia’s Best Bartender!
- Copper Cup Ambassadors Announced
- Dylan Eisenhut Crowned Australia’s Best Beer Pourer
- Suntory Cup Invites You to Be the Judge
- The Smirnoff Black Copper Cup is Back
- 42 Below Cocktail World Cup 2010 Launches at Sydney BarShow
- VIDEO: World Cocktail Week Australia 2009
- Tales of the Cocktail Awards Announced
- Greece is World Class
- C’mon Adi… All the latest from Diageo World Class
- Australian Bartender of the Year 2009