Now because ELLC strive to consistently look beyond the boundaries of tradition and norm, they’ve decided to shake up the hiring process. The first round of ‘interviews’ is a summer cocktail competition – but of course, there’s a lot more to be judged than simply what’s in the glass.
Let’s unpack this a little bit further.
ELLC are responsible for opening the first East London based distillery in over 100 years, finding their home in an old pub in Globe Town (formerly a glue factory – notice the dead horse on the label?).
Ex Bartender Alex Wolpert commenced in 2014 and since then the team have been carving out their own unique road with a spate of craft Gins, Vodkas, Rums and (soon to be released) Whiskies. Noted in each bottle is a subtle maverick charm, borne from the founder’s contemporary vision.
The Dead Horse Cocktail Competition
Commencing 1st December and running through to the end of January, this competition’s first round involves designing a summer cocktail that shows deliberation and careful curation.
The winning recipe will also be taken on as the 2019 Summer Signature Serve at the ELLC bar in East London – so think London, Gin & Summer.
Now before you go all stir-crazy concocting new and wonderful ideas, there are a few mandatory requirements to ensure you remain eligible for selection.
- Your cocktail must utilise at least 45ml of East London Liquor Company’s London Dry Gin
- Once you’re happy with your libation, post a pic of it looking fabulous to Instagram and Facebook; outline the specs and tag Savant Spirits with the hashtag #deadhorsecocktailcomp
- Your bar must purchase at least three bottles of the London Dry Gin to be used for the cocktail, which hopefully won’t take you long to get through
- Your cocktail must go on your bar’s list (or special’s board) for the duration of the competition – until the end of January
You might walk the walk – but can you talk the talk?
As this competition entails much more than just tantalising taste buds with liquid, you will need to express your honest love for the industry and the brand itself to progress through the rounds. The more passion, vitality and sincerity you show – the better.
The founder of the East London Liquor Company, Alex Wolpert, is flying into Melbourne in February to meet the finalists, judge the drinks and ultimately hire the new Brand Ambassador for Melbourne.
Please note that the application process will include a round of structured interviews to gauge who, out of the competition finalists, will be the best fit to represent ELLC.
The Job / The Prize
The lucky person selected to extend the ELLC team to Melbourne will be flown to London to visit the distillery, meet the crew and revel in the good times. Accommodation and flights will be provided.
Upon returning to Melbourne, the BA will be employed part time promoting the brand. This will range from establishing new accounts, handling existing ones, hosting events and a general sharing of the love with the bartending and broader community. This is a paid, professional position and a healthy remuneration package will be presented shortly.
The role is guaranteed for a year, but the ELLC really do want to push it out further. Basically, there is desire and scope to grow; the team want you to succeed as much as you do, so know that there is more in store if things go to plan.
Best of luck for the competition, we look forward to sampling your creations and welcoming you on board.
The team at East London
At A Glance:
- Applications open December 1st close December 14th
- Create a Signature Summer Cocktail
- Use at least 45mls of ELLC London Dry Gin
- Put it on the cocktail list or on the specials board for the duration
- Knowing how to use the gin is important
- Knowing and loving the brand is imperative
- Cocktails will be chosen and interviews done end of January
- Monday 11th Final interview with Alex Wolpert and cocktail competition
For more information, email email@example.com.