“Bartenders are always on the lookout for new flavours and creative outlets,” Rohan Massie says.
“Fermentation is one of the key ways I do this. Fermentation takes a flavour that everyone is familiar with and gives it complexity and depth. It’s a bartender’s chance to extract even more flavour out of everyday ingredients and keep our guests intrigued.”
Massie is the ambassador for The House of Angostura; get his recipe for lacto-passionfruit honey below.
Passion In The Heat Of The Night
- 25 ml Angostura Reserva Rum
- 25 ml Angostura 1919 Rum
- 15 ml Black strap molasses infused Angostura Reserva Rum
- 3 dashes wattle seed tincture
- 10 ml lime
- 20 ml lacto-passionfruit honey
- Swizzle in your favourite Tiki mug, garnish with passionfruit husk and fresh honeycomb.
This is a twist on Don the Beachcomber’s Waikiki cocktail.
For the lacto passionfruit honey:
• 300g passionfruit pulp
• 300g yoghurt whey
• the husks of two passionfruit
• 0.5 bsp orange blossom water
Combine passionfruit pulp, yoghurt whey and passionfruit husks in vac bags, pump and seal. Leave in warm room out of direct sunlight for approximately 5 days or until bag is swollen and firm. Strain out all ingredients. Weigh and combine mixture with orange blossom water and equal parts by weight honey.