Luke Whearty and his wife, Aki Nishikura, are the owners of BYRDI in Melbourne’s CBD. Luke is a champion of local producers, and he encapsulates that throughout every aspect of his venue.
We know what it means, but do we understand it in depth? Its importance, its impact and the various meanings of SEASONALITY?
The SEASONALITY module explores what it means not only to the bartender through their drink programs and venues, but also to the consumer.
Luke breaks down SEASONALITY and its importance. He explains how crucial it is, not only from an environmental perspective, but also for the economy.
SEASONALITY, within the context of food, refers to the times of year when the harvest or the flavour of a given type of food is at its peak. SEASONALITY can be defined as either globally seasonal (i.e. produced in the natural production season but consumed anywhere in the world) or locally seasonal (i.e. produced in the natural production season and consumed within the same climate zone).
The aim of this virtual seminar is to consider the implications of eating seasonal food on the different elements of sustainability (i.e. health, economics, society), not just the environment. This workshop comes with detailed recipes that you will all be able to make at home using minimal equipment.
SEASONALITY is a huge part of what Luke and his team encapsulate at BYRDI, and he personally feels very strongly about it.
SEASONALITY: Parts 1 & 2 are available now!
A summary of what you will learn:
- The impact of seasons on produce
- Flavours of the Seasons
- How to structure your menu around the seasons and your surrounding environment
- Understanding the importance of seasonality and the effective preservation techniques
- How to implement it into your venue and drink menus
- Demonstrating several recipes and preservation techniques that you can easily replicate at home or modify within your own local environment
- Local produce and producers
- Wattyl Wine & Last Summer’s Berry liqueur.
- HOW TO: Now & Then Highball using ROKU Gin.
Log in or become a member of The Blend to keep learning, keep engaged and get those creative juices flowing with ‘BYRDI at home’! https://www.theblend.world/botw/byrdi
The Blends of the Virtual World.