The schedule for Sydney Bar Week is packed, and tickets to the events are going quick. One of the events you don’t want to miss out on is the annual Business of Bars Conference, and with just 12 seats left, you’ll want to book yours now.
This year our Business of Bars Conference is returning to the tailor-made conference room at Restaurant Hubert. Following a packed-out event last year, we have ramped things up yet again, with cutting edge topics and both international and local bar industry experts. Guests will also receive drinks and snacks included in their ticket price of $90 (plus booking fees). CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR TICKETS.
Hosted by Australian Bartender Magazine and Bar Week founder David Spanton, this event is now in its 14th year. The last four years our event sold out well in advance and we expect 2019 to be even bigger and better. Numbers are strictly limited so get in early.
The Business of Bars Conference forms part of Sydney Bar Week. For a full line-up of events, visit www.barweek.com.au.
Take a look at the sessions here and get your tickets ASAP.
11.30am – 12.30pm
The Death of the Trend: Forge your own way or go the f%ck home
When the New It Thing wings around the world in the time it takes to post on Instagram, how do you keep up with global bar trends? Should you even bother? Now that Americana and taxidermy are done, we’re surrounded by the Spritz, and no-alcohol drinks are on the march, do you jump on board or look for what’s next?
Hosted by David Spanton
- Anton Forte (Owner, Swillhouse)
- Grazia di Franco (Creative Director, Caffe Bartolo)
- Rob Libecans (Co-Owner, Fancy Free)
- Millie Tang (Bartender, The Gresham)
- Chau Tran (Co-Owner, Burrow Bar)
12.30pm – 1.30pm
Sustainability: cash cow or money pit? How to get sustainability working for you
Sponsored by 42BELOW
We are in the midst of a zero-waste revolution and it’s great to see boundary-pushing bars leading the way with their environmental policies. In this session we will talk about how Aussie bars are closing the loop and doing their bit to save the planet covering everything from reusing pineapple pulp to waste-free acid alternatives.
Hosted by David Spanton
- Matt Whiley (Owner, Scout)
- Ollie Margan (Owner, Maybe Mae)
- Elise Godwin (Strange Company)
- Kate McGraw (Operator, Isabel and GM Waysouth Hospitality)
- Peter Hollands (Brand Ambassador, Bacardi-Martini Australia)
2pm – 3pm
Fit is the new f%$#ed up
Sponsored by St Germain
The bar industry has long been known for pushing the physical limits with late nights and lots of booze. But a new era is dawning with millennial buzz words such as ‘self-care’ and wellness infiltrating all levels of the industry. Suppliers, bar operators and bartenders are striving for greater balance and longevity in the hospitality industry. In this session we will be discussing mental and physical health issues and some of the strategies leading bars are implementing to help support staff to live better and healthier lives.
Hosted by Amy Spanton
- Camille Vidal (Madame St~Germain)
- Raj Nagra (Founder Bartender Boxing Organisation)
- Jenna Hemsworth (Beverage Director, Restaurant Hubert)
- Thor Bergquist (Co-Owner, PS40)
- Michael Drescher (GM Caffe Bartolo)
- Ceri Kidby-Salom (Healthy Party Girl)
3pm – 4pm
This new session includes four 15-minute talks from experts in their fields. Here we will cover everything from looking after your customers right, developing your social media power, the secret to a great bartender, and how to find the perfect PR firm. Don’t miss out!
- Kurtis Bosley (@cocktailsbykurtis and Corretto Dee Why): How to build a powerful social media following
- Jocelyne Simpson (Good Citizens PR): What makes good bar PR? What to look for (and what to avoid)
- Sven Almenning (Director of Speakeasy Group & Ananas): Exceeding Expectations — the well-known ‘secret’ to building a lasting business
- Hayden Lambert (Owner Above Board, Melbourne): Small is Beautiful
The Business of Bars Conference forms part of the massive line-up at this year’s Sydney Bar Week. 35+ events from 14th – 18th September. Click here for our full timetable.